Test Code KITBM KIT Asp816Val Mutation Analysis, Qualitative PCR, Bone Marrow
Reporting NameKIT Asp816Val Mutation Analysis, BM
Diagnosing systemic mastocytosis in bone marrow specimens
Allele-Specific Oligonucleotide Polymerase Chain Reaction
(PCR is utilized pursuant to a license agreement with Roche Molecular Systems, Inc.)
Performing LaboratoryMayo Medical Laboratories in Rochester
Specimen TypeBone Marrow
Container/Tube: Bone marrow
Preferred: EDTA (lavender top)
Acceptable: ACD-B (yellow top)
Specimen Volume: 2 mL
1. Invert several times to mix bone marrow.
2. Send specimen in original tube.
3. Label specimen as bone marrow.
Specimen Minimum Volume
Specimen Stability Information
|Bone Marrow||Ambient (preferred)||7 days|
Reject Due To
Mild OK; Gross reject
Moderately to severely clotted
An interpretive report will be provided indicating the mutation status as positive or negative.
Day(s) and Time(s) Performed
Monday through Friday
CPT Code Information
81273-KIT (v-kit Hardy-Zuckerman 4 feline sarcoma viral oncogene homolog) (eg, mastocytosis), gene analysis, D816 variant(s)
LOINC Code Information
|Test ID||Test Order Name||Order LOINC Value|
|KITBM||KIT Asp816Val Mutation Analysis, BM||In Process|
|Result ID||Test Result Name||Result LOINC Value|
Test ClassificationThis test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by Mayo Clinic in a manner consistent with CLIA requirements. This test has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
1. Hematopathology Patient Information (T676) in Special Instructions
2. If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a Hematopathology/Cytogenetics Test Request Form (T726) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/hematopathology-request-form.pdf)
The following information is required:
1. Pertinent clinical history
2. Clinical or morphologic suspicion
3. Date of collection
4. Specimen source
Specimen must arrive within 7 days (168 hours) of collection.